- Cucumbers are low in calories but high in water and several important vitamins and minerals.
- Eating cucumbers with the peel provides the maximum amount of nutrients
- Cucumbers are composed of about 96% water, which may increase hydration and help you meet your daily fluid needs.
- Cucumbers contain a good amount of fiber and water, both of which may help prevent constipation and increase regularity.
Benefits of unpeeled cucumber:
- Eating an unpeeled cucumber contributes to your daily vitamin K intake.
- Getting enough vitamin K helps excessive bleeding if you suffer an injury — the vitamin helps blood cells, called platelets, aggregate to form blood clots.
- Eating vitamin K also keeps your bones healthy as you age, since the nutrient aids in healthy bone growth.
- Eating 1 cup of unpeeled cucumber provides you with 17.1 micrograms of vitamin K while peeled cucumber slices contain only 8.6 micrograms.
- Choose unpeeled cucumber over the peeled variety to maximize your vitamin K consumption
- Peeled cucumbers are a medium-potassium food with 181 mg per cup of chopped and peeled vegetable.
- Potassium helps keep your mineral and fluid balance in check, regulating blood pressure, heartbeat and the gastrointestinal tract.
- Peeled cucumbers also contain small amounts of magnesium, copper and manganese.
It is good for Vision
- Cucumber peel are a hidden source of beta-carotene, which is a type of vitamin A.
- This nutrient is known for its beneficial effects on the eyes.
- Vitamin A comes in a variety of compounds and beta carotene is found in the highest concentration in cucumber peels.
It is a great source of Fibre
- Cucumber peels are rich in insoluble fibre, a type of fiber that sweeps through the digestive tract and creates a fecal bulk.
- It also helps in relieving constipation and is an important factor in keeping one’s digestive system regular.
- A healthful diet is made up of 25 g of total fiber daily, and men need about 38 g of it.
- The inner soft part of cucumber contains soluble fiber, which is another type of fiber that is highly beneficial for the body; it helps in the softening of stool.
So, make sure you do not peel cucumbers before eating them. But, do not forget to wash them thoroughly.